Sunday, November 10, 2019

Perchance Penuche...

The testing phase continues. Last Thursday's quiche turned out adequately. It wasn't superb, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to offer it as a side dish. Since that's all I wanted, I can tick it off the list.

Today, I'm following through on a truly controversial concept: pumpkin cookies.

Not that pumpkin cookies are controversial in themselves, I still have a recipe a coworker gave me in 1985. I think that counts as antique.

What's controversial is that I'm thinking of making pumpkin cookies instead of pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving.

Was that a gasp? At least now you know that I don't toss the word "controversial" around lightly.

Anyhow, I made pumpkin cookies with white chocolate chips and glazed them with penuche. I added the chips because I always find plain pumpkin cookies to be a little banal, but I didn't want to add nuts because that would mess with the flavor profile. White chocolate is just a bit of texture, and it doesn't interfere with the taste.

But damn, once I glazed them, they are sweet. I mean, the kind of sweet that makes your head tilt and one eye scrunch.

I'm going to give them away to a bunch of people and get some reactions before I make a decision. Watch this space for updates.



No comments: