Thursday, November 7, 2019

Pie R Not Square

Auntie has a love-hate relationship with pie crust.

Love, because who doesn't love pie crust? It's my favorite form of bakey goodness.

Hate, because your Auntie makes truly sucky pie crust. To be fair, this comes under the heading of "better than no love at all" but still.

So far this year, I've watched two different videos and tried two different recipes. No, make that two videos and three recipes. I did 3-2-1 as well.

The problem is that once upon a time, pie crust used to drop in exquisite buttery flakes from my fingers. I was really good at it. This isn't incipient dementia, or false memories. There were witnesses.

But since I only make pie at the holidays, at some point in the last ten years, a spring or a summer of forgetfulness made me lose the knack. Maybe I was hit on the head or something, and it damaged the pie crust lobe of my brain.

So now, every year, I start early and practice. There's a fresh crust blind-baking in our oven right now. This very minute.

If it comes out, it will become my fourth or fifth quiche in two weeks. I'm trying a new kind of filling, too.

Cross your fingers and wish me luck.

No comments: